Pinterest is one of the most popular social networking sites, and has taken the wedding and event industry by storm. Few social networks have seen the rapid growth that Pinterest has enjoyed since its launch in 2010. With nearly 50 million users viewing 2.5 billion pages per month, it’s an increasingly valuable marketing tool for your business.
Whether you are new to Pinterest, looking to expand your following, or take your pins to the next level, check out our tips below to becoming a Pinterest Pro!
- Create specific boards to share different aspects of your business and inspiration – and keep them organized!
- Optimize your pins for search and traffic by giving a spot-on description that includes relevant keywords. Ask yourself what you would search for if you were recently engaged and looking for your service as you plan your big day – and be sure that the description matches the photo!
- Provide a context to your pins. What inspired you to pin the image? Do you love the colors of the flowers, unique venue, amazing detail to their attire, or are you sharing a favorite quote? By sharing what you love about the image, you provide insight into your business personality, and this makes you stand out among all the others who are simply re-pinning images out there.
- Always attribute your photos – link back to the website that the pin came from or cite the photographer who captured the moment at your recent event. It’s important to always give credit and share the love!
- Share images and inspiration from your own website, WeddingWire Storefront, blog and social media accounts, and link to those sites. When your pins are shared – they will be attributed back to you online, which is great for building your brand and SEO. Consider including a call to action when appropriate such as “for more images from this wedding” or “contact us for a free consultation” when directly associated with your business. Just make sure they are not all self-promotional or you can lose followers.
- Avoid sharing low resolution images; no one loves grainy photos! Go for high resolution, engaging and eye-catching images to make your followers and other Pinterest users swoon.
- Set a goal for the amount of pins you would like share. Would you like to pin five thoughtful pins a day (with relevant descriptions, keywords and attribution)? Give yourself 20 minutes to do your research of images to re-pin (and attribute), images from your own events or blog to share, and re-pins from favorite industry sites (like WeddingWire) – and get them pinned. It’s okay if you don’t have time to pin every day but setting expectations and time each week is a great way to get it prioritized, and to become a pining Pro!
New to Pinterest? Check out this article from our Education Center to give you the basics for getting started, Pinterest terms defined, and advice on how to maximize your account to reach your target audience.
Additionally, determine if a business account is right for you (we generally recommend it unless your personal name is directly associated with your business, so your business – not personal name – gets exposure from your pins). As an added bonus, Pinterest Business accounts only have access to analytics to see how your pins perform and which gain the most online exposure.
Last but not least, be sure to follow WeddingWireEDU on Pinterest for the latest business, marketing, social media, SEO and more helpful Inforgraphics, stats and more!