Personally, I scan a lot of blogs every morning to stay on top of the trends and to see what people are up to. Given the amount of content out there, my morning ritual was simplified when a friend referred me to Google Reader. Now I can easily scan my own personalized online newspaper every morning!
Google Reader is a great tool and has definitely made the scanning process more efficient and has helped me discover many new blogs. I found a great detailed Google Reader how-to guide that should offer a little something for everyone – whether you are new to Google Reader or a veteran user.
Here is my quick summary to help you get started.
- Setup – It’s simple and no downloading is needed! Just visit the Google Reader main page and sign in using your Google account or create a new one. Once complete, it’s time to find some content to read!
- Find Content– If you are new to the world of blogs or just looking to add more, there are a few ways to add content:
- Click the “Browse for stuff” link and go to the “Browse” tab. Let the searching begin.
- Manually enter the URL of a blog into the “Add Subscription” area and Google Reader will usually find the feed and automatically add it for you (thanks Google!).
- Locate the “Subscribe To This Feed” button on the blog of the site you want to follow (should be easy to find).
- Organize- As soon as you start subscribing to a lot of feeds, you will want to keep track of them in the same way you would your emails or files on your computer – create folders.
- To create folders simply click on any one of your subscriptions in the left navigation bar until it opens up in the main reading pane. Click on the button “Feed Settings” at the top of the page and select “New Folder”. Assign a useful name to it and click “Ok”. And voila – folder created!
After this you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your personalized online newspaper! For more details, definitely check out the how-to-guide.
What blogs do you like to follow?