With over 1/3 of all engagements projected to happen over the holidays and the New Year quickly approaching, now is the time for you to hone in on your marketing efforts! Over the next few days I will cover some different ways to help you do this. Today, let’s take a look at email marketing.
Emails can work as a means of advertisement. According to a recent MediaPost blog, email marketing is still the highest ROI channel and earning $45+ ROI for every dollar invested (DMA, 2008).
As mentioned in the blog, the key to email marketing is there is a right and wrong way to approach it. The wrong way involves sending the same email, multiple times. This tends to increase your list churn and drive readers away, making it very hard to earn back their respect.
The right way is to make sure that each email counts. Here is my take on a few good tips from the MediaPost blog that you can use to help you do this:
- Get the tone right – Position your products and services so that they meet the need of your customers during the realities of our time (i.e. down economy, low budgets, etc.)
- Realize that discounts are not the only motivator – Although discount emails can sometimes work, they tend to fall into the “wrong way” category if they are repeated too many times. Try providing helpful tips, value information, and timely offers in your emails. These can boost your response and protect your margin.
- Integrate online channels – Use emails to spark a conversation that will continue to other social mediums, such as facebook, twitter, etc.
- Ask for feedback in each email and every source of contact with your customers – It is key for you to monitor customer feedback and experience. Make sure you listen to what the customers are saying and communicate back with them. This is only going to benefit you in the long run!
- Thank your customers – Send helpful tips and special offers to good customers and new buyers. This is a great chance for you to encourage your customers to tell their friends about you!
These tips and others listed in the MediaPost blog can help you become a smarter marketer and assist you in crafting your emails the right way!
Feel free to share any other email marketing tips you have personally had success with!