It’s that time again—the WeddingWire 2017 Newlywed Survey is here! This year, we surveyed more than 13,000 couples that wed in 2016 to learn about their weddings and what was most important to them.
Read the full survey here >>
Here are some of the big changes:
1. Technology matters: Couples now spend 50% of their time planning from a smartphone (up from 30% last year).
2. Uniformity is out: Bridesmaids are more likely to wear non-matching than in previous years, a trend we’ve seen continue to grow.
3. While the average wedding price tag hasn’t grown, millennials spend a bit more: $31,000 on average.
But, some things are staying put:
1. The average price of a wedding is still about $28,000. Spend on honeymoons ($4,000) and engagement rings ($5,000) is also about the same as last year.
2. The first dance continues to be the most popular tradition for all couples, but same-sex couples are less likely to perform one.
3. The average number of wedding guests for straight couples is 124, just four more than last year. For same-sex couples, it’s 100.
There’s lots more information for wedding pros, so check out the full survey!
2017 is shaping up to be an exciting year in the wedding industry, and as always, the Editorial Team here at WeddingWire been looking into our crystal ball to try to determine the top trends for the upcoming season. So we’re excited to share our hot-off-the-presses WeddingWire 2017 Wedding Trend Guide which highlights over 100 of the newest trends.
Just a few of the exciting wedding trends we can’t wait to see more of in 2017:
- Sheer and sexy wedding dresses
- Gray and burgundy suits for grooms
- Bridesmaid jumpsuits
- Urban Elegance = the “new Rustic”
- Marble details
- Giant floral wreath backdrops for ceremonies
- Drone photography and videography
- Instagram videos
- Brunch weddings
- Creative food presentation – food “walls” and hanging food
- Silent disco (seriously, it’s awesome)
- Geode cakes
- Drip cakes
- Greenery motifs on invitations
And there’s a lot more where those came from! Be sure to check out the brand-new 2017 WeddingWire Trend Guide, out now!
Cover photo by Jeremy Chou Photography