How much time during your day would you say you spend on social media? Five minutes on your metro ride to work? 15 minutes during your lunch break? Or do you seem to be on some type of social media network all day? Working at a techonology company, I know I usually have my Facebook account open all day (and connect with clients online) and seem to search YouTube at least once a day. According to a recent article on Slashgear.com, Americans spend over 2 billion hours on social media per month!
Clearly, social media has a definite impact on our daily lives — from catching up with friends and sharing recent updates and photos, to forming new relationships, promoting certain brands and companies, and sharing updates from our own businesses!
For some amazing statistics and insights into how we use social media and the internet, check out this installment from a social media video series, the Social Media Revolution: Social Media in 2013.
Here are just a few social media and tech highlights:
- Social media has become the #1 activity on the web
- There are over 1 billion Facebook users (making it the third largest country in the world!)
- Each day 20% of Google searches have never been searched before
- 1 in 5 couples meet online
- Every second, two new members join LinkedIn
- Every minute, 72 hours of video are uploaded on YouTube
Check out the full video, below! What are your favorite stats or what do you find most surprising?