Yesterday was a historic day for the LGBTQ community and allies. The Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act (commonly known as DOMA) as unconstitutional, 5 to 4. They ruled that DOMA blocked federal recognition of gay marriage because it denied federal benefits to gay couples who are legally married in their states. Additionally, Proposition 8 – California’s ban on gay marriage – was dismissed, giving same-sex couples in the state rights to a legal marriage.
WeddingWire and network partner, GayWeddings.com, are excited to unveil an exciting new campaign that celebrates the unions of all loving couples regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity – Wed We Can!
This campaign brings together the LGBTQ community, engaged couples, straight allies and gay-friendly wedding professionals to share support, important information, wedding planning tools, educational resources and more. The purpose of Wed We Can is to empower same-sex couples, their friends and family, and wedding professionals dedicated to serving the newly engaged couples with knowledge, tools and support.
All about Wed We Can!
- Wed We Can is a movement to celebrate unions of all loving couples, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity .
- We encourage the community and allies to share your support on your favorite social networks by uploading a Wed We Can profile image and cover photo to Facebook and Twitter, and sharing the love through posts and images using #WedWeCan on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
- Knowledge is power – we provide top education resources just for wedding professionals to better serve same-sex couples, knowledgeable expert advice about same-sex weddings and an etiquette guide, the latest news and updates on marriage equality direct from the Human Rights Campaign, and a helpful wedding planning infographic from President of GayWeddings.com, Kathryn Hamm!
- Engaged couples can easily search our extensive directory of over 52,000 wedding professionals who support marriage equality, listed on GayWeddings.com. Want to be listed? Here is how to opt-in!
- Couples can access the leading online wedding planning tools from WeddingWire to make their big day a success, including wedding websites, guest lists and more.
Want to learn more about the partnership between WeddingWire and GayWedding.com and the Wed We Can campaign? Click here!
Learn more about this new campaign in our press release, here!