This post was written by Sonny Ganguly, CMO of WeddingWire. You can follow him on Twitter @sonnyg. Sonny leads WeddingWire’s marketing strategy, customer acquisition, and business development.
By 2014, more people will access the web from mobile devices than from all desktops and laptops combined. Consumers are turning to mobile devices for everything from searching for businesses and reviews, to processing payments and contacting vendors directly. Now is the time to mobilize all aspects of your business, from your website to your emails. You have to make sure to create a great mobile experience for potential clients when they are on-the-go!
How often have you been out of arms reach of your phone in the past day? Likely, not at all! Mobile devices are unique as they constantly tether us to technology. To effectively run your business, you must be “online” all hours of the day to respond to inbound requests about your services, manage current clients, and stay in touch with employees and other vendors. With constant access to Internet, consumers are searching for local services on their mobile devices in increasing numbers, yet shockingly, only 1% of small businesses have optimized their websites for mobile viewing. It is time to mobilize all aspects of your business, but let’s first examine how quickly mobile is growing.
- Mobile data usage, the amount of info sent between phones, is growing at unprecedented rates of 500% from 2010 to 2015
- Currently, 50% of U.S. cell phone users have smartphones, and by 2015, 81% of U.S. cell users will have smartphones
- 66% of Americans ages 24-35 own a smartphone
- Tablets alone should pass PC sales in 2 to 3 years
Impact on the Web and Search
- 1 in 3 mobile searches are local. After looking up a local business on their smartphone, 61% of users called the business and 59% visited
- Smartphones and tablets will increase mobile web traffic by 26 times during the next 4 years
- Mobile search will generate 27.8 billion more queries than desktop search by 2016
Mobile is becoming the top search driver for many small businesses. However, over 61% of small businesses don’t have a mobile search strategy and are therefore missing out on consumers trying to find them via a mobile device. Don’t let your business fall behind!
Check back soon for the second part of the series, focusing on how to get started with mobilizing your business website, and WeddingWire’s Go Mobile feature!